Re: Importing tmux into base

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:29:41AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > > Essential programs should be in base, not in pkgsrc.
> >
> > True.  But you may note that the question was not "should this
> > essential program be in base?" but rather "why is this program so
> > essential?".
>
> I wondered that as well.  Certainly screen is the second package I
> install (right after bash) but I don't find that to be an onerous
> task.  I think that "essential" would have to at least include the
> requirement that it is used by some scripts in the installation or
> default startup.  I don't see how a startup script would find firing up
> a screen session necessary.

If we followed that definition of "essential", we could as well remove
many^Wlots of components from base.

I think that some balance is needed in what tools are generally useful
so that 1) they are nice to have in base and 2) we commit ourselves at
supporting them for being in base.  This second point is particularly
important -- if we put something in base, it is because we want it to
be part of the operating system releases and is something we offer right
out of the box for a better user experience.

--
Julio Merino