Re: Importing tmux into base

Am 08.02.11 20:04, schrieb Bernd Ernesti:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:22:04AM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> [..]
>> What do people think about importing tmux into base?
>
> I still do not see the point to not use the one from pkgsrc.
>
> Why is tmux so essential to import another programm into base?

Essential programs should be in base, not in pkgsrc.  pkgsrc programs
are second class citizens:

- there is no way to install pkgsrc packages during system install, it
has to be done manually afterwards
- software in pkgsrc, especially libraries, can not be used from the
base system, since you never know it it was installed

that barrier, of course, has to go away eventually.  but there need to
be infrastructure like a packages capable sysinst, first.