Re: Removing /usr/share/misc/operator? or operator(7)?

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:49:09AM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:09:33AM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > > The information in the file usually found in
> > > /usr/share/misc/operator is duplicated in the
> > > operator(7) manual page.
> > >
> > > Either form could be removed. So what do
> > > you think?  Leave both versions?  Remove the file?
> > > Remove the man page?
> >
> > Leave both versions.
>
> I think we should try to refrain from posting opinions without reasons, as
> it rarely helps the original poster decide the correct answer. Bernd, why
> do you think we should keep both copies?

There are two sides of a story.
First I would like to know why this is a sudden issue now.

> For myself, this information is duplicated.. so, I agree with Marc that
> one is redundant, and manpages are generally more useful
>  - they are indexed (eg "apropos precedence")
>  - they can be supplied in other formats (eg .html)
>
> of course, this file is insignificantly small..

It is easier to access /usr/share/misc/operator then generating or looking at a
manual page which may not be installed.
But then a manpage can be changed to a html version.

Bernd