Re: Removing /usr/share/misc/operator? or operator(7)?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:09:33AM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > The information in the file usually found in
> > /usr/share/misc/operator is duplicated in the
> > operator(7) manual page.
> >
> > Either form could be removed. So what do
> > you think?  Leave both versions?  Remove the file?
> > Remove the man page?
>
> Leave both versions.

I think we should try to refrain from posting opinions without reasons, as
it rarely helps the original poster decide the correct answer. Bernd, why
do you think we should keep both copies?

For myself, this information is duplicated.. so, I agree with Marc that
one is redundant, and manpages are generally more useful
 - they are indexed (eg "apropos precedence")
 - they can be supplied in other formats (eg .html)

of course, this file is insignificantly small..

iain