Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On 09/02/2010 12:25, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
In article<4B52989C.20803%NetBSD.org@localhost>
roy%NetBSD.org@localhost writes:

- Will setting $TERMCAP still work? What are you planning to do with
tset -s? - Who are we copying the terminfo library from? FreeBSD? -
Something needs to be done with tn3270 (c3270 or whatever)

$TERMCAP will not work
tset -s just prints $TERM
I wrote the terminfo code, but the terminfo database is from ncurses.

In order not to lose functions like $TERMCAP and tn3270,
please implement terminfo as an emulation on top of native termcap.

You have already written most of needed code for termcap<->  terminfo
conversion, so the implementation will not be so difficult.
tic command would be something like infotocap&&  cap_mkdb.

tn3270 works quite happily on my terminfo implementation via the termcap emulation and is available via pkgsrc. It has not been lost.

It's ONLY $TERMCAP that has been lost.
The only valid reason for keeping $TERMCAP I've heard so far is for when $HOME is ro and the local terminfo database does not have a working definition for your terminal.

The only thing I'm willing to do at this point is consider making $TERMINFO be respected as a terminfo description.

Thanks

Roy