Re: Lua as a scripting language in NetBSD

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 01:40:17PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:

> I must probably clarify this.  I did look at JavaScript and Java but I
> embedded both in host programs to check their fitness for the task at
> hand.  They are not good candidates according to my judgment, huge,
> massive, big memory fingerprint.  I really don't see those languages as
> good canidates for general use.  Python, Perl, Lua, otoh, could be seen
> as natural candidates. ymmv.

I have, over the years, integrated two of these three into BSD-style
system builds, at the insistence of others.  I regretted it in both
cases -- they are huge, and the software they made it possible to include
in the default system build was correspondingly bloated.  They were also
considerable and constant nuisances to keep up-to-date and buildable
in-tree.

Those two were of course Python and Perl.  I have been looking quite a bit
at Lua lately and I think it is much better.