Lua as a scripting language in NetBSD

I am suggesting to add the language Lua to the NetBSD base system as a scripting language for general use and as a scripting language to be embedded in applications in the base system. Please let me explain why and what the conseqeunces of such an addition would be.

Lua is a scripting language with a very small memory footprint that has been designed as an embedded (or hosted) language from the ground up. As such, it's integration into software written in e.g. C or C++ is straighforward. Lua is very fast, it is recognized as one of the fastest scripting languages. The language has a clear and simple syntax with some very powerful concepts; the libraries (called packages) that come with it are themselves reasonable small. Lua compiles programs to a bytecode which is executed by a very small virtual machine. Lua scripts can be precompiled to bytecode for faster load times (but not faster execution). The first versions of Lua date back in 1993, so the language is stable and mature.

(The Lua homepage is at http://www.lua.org/, the reference manual can be found at http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/. More information about Lua can also be found at http://www.lua.org/about.html)

Lua is an excellent candidate as a scripting language in base, because it is small, fast, and powerful and a user can learn it very quickly. For endusers, having Lua can leverage scripting in NetBSD, e.g. if a reasonable interface to e.g. POSIX functionality is provided. (which exists with the luaposix package, btw). For developers of software written in C it is a very convenient and efficient means to extend the software by a scripting engine.

Lua would allow us to extend exisiting software in interesting ways, DHCP option processing in DHCP clients comes to my mind, or even the system installer, sysinst (not to speak of the advantages of keeping airport codes up to date using Lua scripts...) I have more ideas, but I want to discuss the general case of having Lua in base first, well aware that it is a chicken and egg problem: To use Lua in base, we need it in base. To have Lua in base, we need software that makes use of it...

Examples of software that uses Lua as the engine for scripting purposes are e.g. Adobe Lightroom, World of Warcraft. It's also used in printers manufactured by Océ. I myself use it in BSD based POS systems. Look at the Lua homepage for more uses.

Other scripting languages I looked at are Perl and Python (plus JavaScript and even Java, which I don't discuss here). From the perspective of efficiency and ease of use, Lua is the best fit: Perl allows you write code nobody can read (loking at some Perl code, I am actually amazed that the Perl interpreter understands it...) and embedding Perl has some serious problems, too. Python is a very nice language, but it's strange blocking concept is not liked by everyone. Both Perl and Python use way more memory when embedded, are slower in almost all cases, and harder to integrate into existing software. Plus their libraries are bloated, to say the least.

Having Lua in base of course means that it has to be actively maintained, and if it would be added at some time in the future, I am volunteering to maintain it by keeping it up to date in -current and applying security and stability fixes to -stable branches.

From private discussions I know that already one or the other developer uses Lua and at least a handful of people already told me that they could make good use of Lua in base, and so could I. Please note that Lua is in pkgsrc, if you want to try it out.

So I am opening the discussion about Lua's addition to the base system.

- Marc Balmer