Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11:52AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
  | > On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:29:21PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
  | > > Rather than introducing further hacks to automatically munge what's
  | > > theoretically a sysadmin-edited file, can we have the daemons do this
  | > > in /var/run, and have the resolver go look at the results based on a
  | > > resolv.conf setting?
  |
  | But David makes a useful distinction, don't you think?  Let /etc hold
  | adminstrative inputs and /var/run hold system state.  Adminstrators don't
  | have to worry about their carefully edited, commented, version-controlled
  | files getting clobbered, and openresolv can manage its file without
  | concern for preserving formatting and comments.

I like David's suggestion too.

Benefits:

 *  /etc can remain effectively read-only, and /etc/resolv.conf remain
    under the sysadmin's version control.

 *  /var/run/resolvconf.conf can be updated by the application as it desires.

 *  A setting in /etc/resolv.conf makes it easy for the sysadmin to
    control whether or not the resolvconf behaviour is in use.

I've been bitten in the past by application that "helpfully" updated
/etc/resolv.conf because I forgot the super secret magic in
that application's configuration file to disable the auto-munging.