Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:29:21PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 03:56:04PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> > I would like to propose adding openresolv [1] to the base system so that
> > different daemons that want to update resolv.conf(5) can do so without
> > stepping on each others toes. dhcpcd can handle this internally, but
> > only for DNS information obtained by itself.
>
> Rather than introducing further hacks to automatically munge what's
> theoretically a sysadmin-edited file, can we have the daemons do this
> in /var/run, and have the resolver go look at the results based on a
> resolv.conf setting?

Calling this is a hack is unjustified. First of all it provides an
interface for components providing nameservers etc and those using that
data. That includes various self-configuration protocols (DHCP, PPP,
etc.) and various consumers (resolv.conf, local caching nameds etc.)

Second, this removes the logic for dealing with /etc/resolv.conf from a
number of places, so it makes it easier to move the storage to a
different place. If you want to go that way, it actually is an important
step into the right direction.

Joerg