Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Luke Mewburn <lukem%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11:52AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
>  | > On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:29:21PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
>  | > > Rather than introducing further hacks to automatically munge what's
>  | > > theoretically a sysadmin-edited file, can we have the daemons do this
>  | > > in /var/run, and have the resolver go look at the results based on a
>  | > > resolv.conf setting?
>  | But David makes a useful distinction, don't you think?  Let /etc hold
>  | adminstrative inputs and /var/run hold system state.  Adminstrators don't
>  | have to worry about their carefully edited, commented, version-controlled
>  | files getting clobbered, and openresolv can manage its file without
>  | concern for preserving formatting and comments.
>

> I like David's suggestion too.
>
> Benefits:
>
>  *  /etc can remain effectively read-only, and /etc/resolv.conf remain
>    under the sysadmin's version control.
>
>  *  /var/run/resolvconf.conf can be updated by the application as it desires.
>
>  *  A setting in /etc/resolv.conf makes it easy for the sysadmin to
>    control whether or not the resolvconf behaviour is in use.
>

> I've been bitten in the past by application that "helpfully" updated
> /etc/resolv.conf because I forgot the super secret magic in
> that application's configuration file to disable the auto-munging.

While I've also been bitten by this, I personally think creating
another active resolv.conf would create confusion instead of solving
very much pain.

/var/run/resolv.conf.$DATE as an auto-magic backup of /etc/resolv.conf
whenever resolv.conf was changed would be more useful, in my opnion.

Even an /etc/resolv.local would be less confusing than
/etc/resolv.conf + /var/run/resolv.conf (+
/usr/pkg/var/run/resolv.conf? + ... ?)

Matt