Re: Adding openresolv to base

roy%marples.name@localhost (Roy Marples) writes:

>That leaves the DNS servers going into resolv.conf as the only other
>data obtained from the link configuration.

Automated configuration does many things and you agree that
this requires some custom script handling. Except for resolv.conf.
This should be handled differently with your tool which adds
complexity to what was previously just writing a file.

You also require that any policy you want to apply to
resolv.conf data has to be applied by your tool.

For what reason? Because DNS configuration is the only thing
shared between your different link configuration protocols?
Except for default routes?

As I have shown, the configuration is delivered by many
'configuration protocols' and something like resolv.conf
can be created with standard tools. I don't see any
reason to reinvent the wheel.

Except for one thing.

All solutions seem to require to distinguish between the
working configuration and some original data or template
that is expanded or augmented by the link configuration
data (and maybe other).

That's where you can think about where and how to
store templates, how to provide a unique mechanism
for 'expanding and augmenting'. Something that applies
to all configuration files. Something like newbtconf()
but much smarter and not only for bootstrap :)

And unlike other kinds of meta-configuration (ODM, /etc/sysconfig ?)
you don't have to use it. Providing the framework for
those who do is enough.

Greetings,
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost