Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:23:48AM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> Michael van Elst wrote:
>> I don't know what arbitrary PPP and VPN clients can and can't do.
> We can assume they supply DNS information to go in /etc/resolv.conf for
> the purposes of this discussion.

Our pppoe driver can be queried to supply this information, but
it doesn't write /etc/resolv.conf.

>>> IF the stock dhclient supported DHCP on >1 interface could it still work?
>> The stock dhclient supports multiple interfaces. Obviously it
>> doesn't know how to handle multiple global configurations by
>> itself. Like resolver addresses or, more important, default routes
>> or any other option the DCHP server could send you.
> This is then a failing of dhclient. But think of resolvconf as the
> interface to handling multiple global DNS configurations.

Then I maybe should repeat what was stripped:

For a qualified decision on how to handle multiple, possibly
conflicting, configurations, you can (and have to) supply some
intelligence in form of a shell script. And since this
mechanism isn't limited to resolv.conf entries, it can be
used to handle other configuration options.

>> Saying that... some software that handles resolver configuration
>> for multiple 'configuration clients' is surely a nice thing,
>> but it isn't even half a solution.
> What then is the solution?

In my experience there is no single solution and something that
focuses on /etc/resolv.conf and ignores the rest is not sufficient.

For now, the general answer to this dilemma is to have scripting
hooks wherever possible.

                                Michael van Elst