Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:43:56AM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> Michael van Elst wrote:
>> roy%marples.name@localhost (Roy Marples) writes:
>>
>>> By adding another file you have increased complexity. If both files
>>> are present, which should be used? If both, in what order? What if I
>>> want my static config to appear somewhere in the middle? Should we
>>> have a third file to configure this?
>>
>> I can tell the ISC dhclient to produce the configuration I need,
>> even making appear something somewhere 'in the middle'. I can
>> also hook in a script that configures forwarders to my local
>> caching nameserver instead of changing /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Can you do the same for PPP and VPN clients whilst dhclient is running?

I don't know what arbitrary PPP and VPN clients can and can't do.

> IF the stock dhclient supported DHCP on >1 interface could it still work?

The stock dhclient supports multiple interfaces. Obviously it
doesn't know how to handle multiple global configurations by
itself. Like resolver addresses or, more important, default routes
or any other option the DCHP server could send you.

But you can give it some decision-making policy for that in form of
a shell script. And you can handle arbitrary data this way.

Saying that... some software that handles resolver configuration
for multiple 'configuration clients' is surely a nice thing,
but it isn't even half a solution.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst