Re: Sets, subsets, syspkgs, and MK*

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 02:40:44AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> Think NetBSD 6.0 gets a security bug in YP code (USE_YP).  Because it changes
> global signature, all binary users have to apply that patch.  Even if your
> 1,000 machines don't use YP at all.

> Creating global binary patches would be like that.  Global binary patch
> meaning all users have to apply all patches.  Binary patches are accumulative
> like Windows SP1, SP2, ...
>
> You don't want to waste your precious weekend to apply unrelated binary
> updates against 1,000 machines.  Does this answer your question?

I don't think you'll convince anyone with that argument.  Nobody forces
anyone to apply a patch, no matter what form it takes.  If a SA says a
binary patch is for YP users, then the admin of that 1000 machine site
that doesn't use YP will not apply the patch.  I don't see the problem
there.

If you want to go down that road of enabling the user to not install YP
support (and all related binaries) on a system, there will be some
substantial sysinst work invovled, too...

Discussions about syspkgs have been around for so long you'd think
people would at least start agreeing on what their purpose would be.
This (binary updates delivery) is at least the third advocated use for
them, after system minimalization (the initial pitch, as far as I know;
I'm pretty sure it started long before I had even heard of NetBSD), and
the make-base-updatable-by-pkgsrc one that surfaces every now and then.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost