Re: build.sh: set creation is serialized

On May 1, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 11:11:33AM -0500, James Chacon wrote:
Seems very odd to punish all builders simply because people want to
build with -j numbers too high for their system to handle...

It's not like this is a default. You're making a conscious choice to
add -j and therefore have to tune what works..

The issue, as I see it, is that the other parallel tasks during the
build are mostly CPU-bound, while this one may very well be I/O bound,
depending on the hardware. You don't want to use only one core of your
laptop for builds, just because its disk can't handle the last step if
done in parallel.

running the compiler, and building the binary sets have completely different
workloads, so I think the parallelism for each should be configured
independantly.

One can always run build.sh in different stages if thats truly an issue for an individual system.

Basically, the knobs already exist but were disabled for everyone...

James