Re: build.sh: set creation is serialized

On May 1, 2008, at 10:54 AM, matthew green wrote:

  In src/src/distrib/sets/Makefile:

  ---
  revision 1.56
  date: 2007/03/10 20:34:57;  author: apb;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -2
  branches:  1.56.4;  1.56.10;  1.56.12;
  Serialise making the "sets" tarballs in the maketars target.
  On many systems, making them in parallel causes very poor
  system performance due to disk I/O.  (Requested by jmmv.)
  ---

On my development system this adds a lot of time to a release build, and I'd like to revert it. My system is not affected, but if it were I don't see
  why any of these would not be a valid solution:

  o use smaller value for -j
  o analyze the problem on the affected systems
  o buy more spindles

i agree; i didn't like this change when it went in because it also
made my own build slower.

Seems very odd to punish all builders simply because people want to build with -j numbers too high for their system to handle...

It's not like this is a default. You're making a conscious choice to add -j and therefore have to tune what works..

James