Re: build.sh: set creation is serialized

On May 1, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Alan Barrett wrote:
On Thu, 01 May 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
The issue, as I see it, is that the other parallel tasks during the
build are mostly CPU-bound, while this one may very well be I/O bound, depending on the hardware. You don't want to use only one core of your laptop for builds, just because its disk can't handle the last step if
done in parallel.

Exactly.

running the compiler, and building the binary sets have completely
different workloads, so I think the parallelism for each should be
configured independantly.

It would be really nice if the root cause of the bad disk I/O
performance could be found and fixed.  Until then, I think it would
be reasonable to let src/distrib/sets/Makefile use a build-time
configuration variable to choose between building the sets in series or
in parallel.

It should also likely default to parallel and people with badly performing hardware can set "SLOW_SET_BUILDS=1" or something.

James