Re: preliminary version control requirements

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:30:39AM -0400, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
 > While all of these are valid points, I think it is more important to
 > focus on the *repository format* than on the features provided by the
 > user interface of a specific VCS.  The former cannot be changed for
 > existing systems, but missing UI features are something that, iff the
 > repository format supports them, can be eventually added.

Yes and no. The back end can be converted/updated/modernized if
necessary. The problem with converting from CVS to anything else is
that per-file commits have to be grouped into logical changesets; once
that's done, further conversions are a lot easier.

 > See: http://keithp.com/blogs/Repository_Formats_Matter/

That article came up somewhere recently (maybe during one of the many
bikeshed sessions about this stuff on chat) and it's mostly arguing
that you can use git without making your development processes look
like Linux. Which is... well, I don't exactly want to say obvious, but
...it's pretty basic.

Anyway, nearly all the things on my list are backend issues.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost