preliminary version control requirements

Here is a preliminary list of requirements for a version control
system for NetBSD.

This is probably not very complete, so please post additions (or
deletions/quibbles) and I'll update my master copy as needed.

   ------------

must have:
   - isn't ridiculously slow
   - scales to size and history-depth of netbsd (and pkgsrc)
   - reliable/mature/ready for primetime
   - doesn't require importing things we don't want into base
   - allows checkout without cloning entire history
   - supports working with subtrees
   - supports renaming files
   - supports branch management adequate for releng

want to have:
   - installs tidily without spewing all over /usr
   - somehow preserves old file version numbers on import for reference
   - uses version numbers that are numbers, not hash codes
   - supports rcsids/keyword expansion
   - supports history/log/diffs that follow renames
   - doesn't exhibit any excessively strange semantic excursions

would be nice to have:
   - whole-tree atomic commits
   - supports cloning/copying files
   - supports sideways change propagation among cloned files
   - supports disconnected operation
   - supports private branches

--
David A. Holland