Re: Scripts with PHP shebang & mbedtls (wip/hiawatha)

Kevin Bloom <ktnb%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

> Yes, makes sense. I wonder if it would be "incorrect" to just install
> the script but not require PHP. Maybe just put something in the MESSAGE?
> (I've haven't read up on what the MESSAGE is for or if this would make
> sense)

To first order, use of MESSAGE is almost always incorrect, period :-)
It is not for what belongs in documentation, and should be limited to
situations where failure to read the info results in persistent
problems.  Here, it's just that running a script will get interpreter
not found, which is resolved by adding it.

IMHO, installing scripts with missing interpreters is not a good thing.
I'm not sure that we prohibit it in the guide, but I lean to saying it
should not happen.  It basically moves dependency management to be
manual.

I think it's better to have a split package that depends on php.  Then
when you install that, the package works.

> Oh, that seems like a nice solution. Doesn't seem overly complicated.
> Would the scripts package do something like a meta-package?

meta-package means that the package has no contents, just DEPENDS.  So
no.  It would

  contain the script
  DEPEND on hiawatha
  DEPEND on php (via phpversion.mk)

so there would need to be a tweak to install and perhaps build to
configure (to find php) and then only install the script.   This is
pretty common.

>> Perhaps, but Hauke has declined to put temporary work in wip, so it's
>> really hard to tell where things are and how close it is.    If your
>> package just doesn't install the script, it might be close to ready or
>> even ready -- I haven't really looked.
>
> I just don't want to step on any toes. Plus, there are some options
> that I was thinking about adding in and his recipe already does it.
> For example, there is a hiawatha monitor that would make sense as an
> option. That being said, there are other things that still need
> work: CONF_FILES, rc script, & questions about using $PREFIX/var or
> /var).

Sure, but to work together we need things someplace everybody can see
the bits and collaborate.  So updates that aren't promptly into pkgsrc
proper should be in wip.