Re: new package: devel/acl

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 04:17:54PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Alexander Schreiber <als%thangorodrim.ch@localhost> writes:
>
> >> I think this might be a package that provides the POSIX interfaces, so
> >> that programs written to POSIX will work on Linux.  That implies that
> >> GNU/Linux systems tend to have a non-standard ACL interface,
> >
> > TTBOMK it provides the POSIX ACL interfaces for Linux, which on other
> > platforms, e.g. NetBSD, are provided by system libraries. For instance
> > glusterfs, having a hard requirement for POSIX ACLs, builds just fine
> > using those on NetBSD and only needs the acl package on Linux.
>
> Good that we all get it now :-)
>
> I would have thought Linux systems with acls would simply have the
> commands and headers as part of the base install, but obviously I thouht
> wrong!

Different approaches to system building. While the BSDs do (somewhat)
monolithic base installs (ok, multiple file sets, but even with just the
minimum fileset you have some useful) Linux systems are much more modular,
shipping as a whole bundle of packages (deb/rpm/..) what the BSDs have
in a single fileset. And different Linux distros vary _wildly_ what
packages they stuff into the "minimal install".

Makes timely continuous partial upgrades (upgrade individual packages
as updates become available) a lot easier, but as a result, different
system installs starting with the same "base image" can drift apart
over time depending on how well they are being kept updated.

> I have munged COMMENT/DESCR and the ONLY_FOR comment based on this
> discussion.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison