Re: new package: devel/acl

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 11:17:10PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2023 at 11:25:36PM +0200, Alexander Schreiber wrote:
>  > The first is devel/acl - tools to manipulate POSIX ACLs as well as
>  > library/headers to write other programs to do so. Hard build dependency
>  > for filesystems/glusterfs on Linux.
>  >
>  > Package was built & tested on Linux amd64, included binaries work,
>  > and glusterfs builds against. This will _not_ build on NetBSD due to
>  > too many "All the world is Linux" assumptions (and has been marked
>  > so in the Makefile).
>
> Looking at the code, this appears to be a library for implementing
> POSIX ACLs using extended attributes, so linux-specific or not it
> isn't applicable to NetBSD where the system already has POSIX ACLs.
>
> Is that right? Should I go update the DESCR and COMMENT?

Yes, this package provides both:
 - the POSIX ACL API on Linux (where on NetBSD, that is provided
   by the system libraries) via extened attributes
 - the (gs)etfacl userspace tools for Linux

There is pretty much no point even _trying_ to port this to NetBSD IMHO.
In fact, packages that require this on Linux (glusterfs) are perfectly
happy to use the system support for POSIX ACLs on NetBSD.

So, in short, yes, please go ahead.

Kind regards,
          Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison