Re: State of play with kde5

On 11/08/19 4:45 am, Dave Tyson wrote:
> kde5 has been out for quite a while now and some of the base support stuff
> (qt5 , kf5 etc.) is in pkg. pkgsrc-wip has some of the plasma components, but
> some seems quite old (5.12.4 vs the latest 5.16.4). I did exchange emails with
> Mark D a while back and he noted stability issues - I think a lot of the
> problems may to be due to the code being very sensitive to the compiler
> version.

Note that the "stability issues" are probably just one or two bugs in
some underlying library that many of the plasma components use - just
haven't been able to track them down.

The cycle tends to go:

months go by without having time to look at it.
start looking again, so want to update all the packages to latest
versions which takes some days to do. run that version and determine
that the same problems still exist but by then have run out of time to
try and track them down.  more months go by and repeat.

Having said that, I am planning to do the "update and try again" again
in a couple of weeks from now, hopefully this time allowing enough time
to problem solve once done.

If I (or someone else) does get past this point, then the likely next
big stumbling block in terms of getting more packages built is the
current lack of a qt5-qtwebengine package.

cheers
mark