Re: How to install a file outside of /usr/pkg ($PREFIX)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 02:51:54PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > We shouldn't accumulate multiple places in base that specify the
 > > location of pkgsrc packages.
 > >
 > > How about one sysctl that contains "/usr/pkg" by default that
 > > everything else consults? (now, what to name that sysctl...
 > > kern.pkgpath? vfs.pkgpath? lemon yellow with teal accents?)
 > >
 > > I guess vfs.pkgpath, because there should be a magic symlink expando
 > > for it :-)
 > >
 > > I should take this to tech-userlevel I guess.
 >
 > So basically you mean that whenever something consults f=/path/to/place
 > in base, it should also (before) try $((vfs.pkpath)/$f, basically how
 > emul works?  That sounds pretty sensible but also a abit scary if overly
 > general, so I would tend to want to code it in places that make sense,
 > and not have magic vfs for-all-files rules.

No, that's much too general. More like, whenever something currently
has /usr/pkg baked into it, or would have /usr/pkg baked into it if we
didn't try to avoid that, or has its own custom config setting for
"where pkgsrc packages are", it would use $(vfs.pkgpath) instead, or
at least by default.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost