Re: How to install a file outside of /usr/pkg ($PREFIX)

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:08:22AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
>  > >   the base system doesn't have a way to configure a secondary autoload path
>  >
>  > There could be a sysctl to set an alternative path, so pkgsrc then could
>  > use $PREFIX/kmodules/$arch/$kernel_build_version/modules/... or similar
>  > and the user would just add:
>  >
>  > kern.module.alt_root="/usr/pkg/kmodules"
>  >
>  > to /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> We shouldn't accumulate multiple places in base that specify the
> location of pkgsrc packages.
>
> How about one sysctl that contains "/usr/pkg" by default that
> everything else consults? (now, what to name that sysctl...
> kern.pkgpath? vfs.pkgpath? lemon yellow with teal accents?)
>
> I guess vfs.pkgpath, because there should be a magic symlink expando
> for it :-)
>
> I should take this to tech-userlevel I guess.

So basically you mean that whenever something consults f=/path/to/place
in base, it should also (before) try $((vfs.pkpath)/$f, basically how
emul works?  That sounds pretty sensible but also a abit scary if overly
general, so I would tend to want to code it in places that make sense,
and not have magic vfs for-all-files rules.