Re: Building Abiword 3.0.0 fails in build stage

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:30:48 +0000
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 22 December 2014 at 17:04, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> > So how does that lead to a set of binary packages produced by a bulk
> > build which are a reasonable tradeoff of having things available
> > and not bringing in unreasonable dependencies for the base package?
>
> I'm not sure about the "unreasonable dependencies". If they are
> already in pkgsrc and they are not broken, why worry? In my builds,
> most of the work is done by building the package itself, not the
> dependencies.
>
> > I'm not trying to argue that opendocument should be separate.  A
> > world where a few plugins that don't hurt much dependency-wise and
> > that almost all users want are bundled, and others aren't, is
> > totally fine.
>
> This is something we could discuss after the package has been tested
> to be working sufficiently ok. Then we could ask ourselves which
> plugins are needed and which not.
>
> For example Slackware, which is relatively minimalistic, maintains a
> Slackbuild with these options:
>
> ./configure \
>   --prefix=/usr \
>   --sysconfdir=/etc \
>   --localstatedir=/var \
>   --mandir=/usr/man \
>   --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
>   --docdir=/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION \
>   --disable-static \
>   --enable-shared \
>   --enable-clipart \
>   --enable-templates \
>   --enable-plugins \
>
> Re:
> http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1/office/abiword/abiword.SlackBuild
>
> What I am trying to do is to build Abiword with various options and
> see how it works. I would like to compare the size of various
> binaries.
>
> Is the alternative to make a separate plugin package? In which case
> who volunteers?

I can volunteer, making an extra plugin package is not that hard.
What is currently being done is that abiword is built with plugin
support but no plugins are built,
it uses the configuration options --disable-builtin-plugins
--enable-plugins=""
then abiword-plugins are built with the options
--enable-builtin-plugins --enable-plugins="plugins that we want to
build"
but only builds in the plugin directory so only the plugins get
installed.
Some dependecies for the plugins are missing like open text summarizer,
I have added that dependecy to pkgsrc-wip.

Since this discussion is about options, I want to ask about gtk.
abiword 3 can be built with either gtk2 or gtk3(I have successfully
built both) do you think this should be an option and if so which one
should be the default?

/Niclas Rosenvik