Re: Any issue with upgrading lang/tcl to 8.5.12 ?

Stephen Borrill <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, John Marino wrote:
>> I've been requested to update a package that requires a minimum
>> version of TCL as 8.5.0.  This is not entirely unreasonable given
>> that 8.5.0 was released in December, 2007, nearly 6 years ago.
>>
>> pkgsrc is still on the 8.4 series of lang/tcl.
>> Is there any reason we can't or shouldn't upgrade?
>> I'm asking before I attempt it in case there's some background info
>> I don't know.
>
> You must  ensure that packages that use tcl/tk still work. For
> instance, the mbone tools: vic, vat, rat, wbd

I'm conflicted about this.  If vic/vat/etc. aren't sufficiently alive to
have new versions that work with 8.5, then it's not really reasonable to
hold up a tcl update, or to make the person who wants to update tcl
create 84 packages and move mbone tools to them.

On the other end, these are historic tools that I remember using ~20
years ago, and it feels against the BSD tradition to toss them
uncerominously.