Re: How to deal with bulk build's "/var/qmail" problem?

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM, David Holland
<dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:49:02AM +0200, John Marino wrote:
>  > Hmmm -
>  > My mk.conf defined VARBASE as "/usr/pkg/var" and so did the
>  > pbulk.conf file.  But the packages are installing at /var/qmail.
>  >
>  > I was going to change the pbulk.conf value to /var in the hopes
>  > that would fix it.
>
> I think there's some djb issue with qmail that prevents the package
> from honoring $VARBASE correctly.

As part of the qmail package's heroic efforts to meet DJB's
redistribution requirements, QMAILDIR defaults to "/var/qmail" and not
"${VARBASE}/qmail" in order to ensure that default binary package's
paths are unchanged from the source tarball's, even if the pkgsrc user
set a non-default VARBASE. This is a bit antisocial toward the pkgsrc
user, and the redistribution requirements have since been relaxed
somewhat, so this is worth revisiting.

mail/qmail's install process is a bit clever, so making it respect
VARBASE would need to be carefully thought through and tested, but the
changes are probably straightforward.