Re: fixing bugs in packages

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Martin Husemann
<martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:26:47AM -0400, Julio Merino wrote:
>> Has this happened recently?
>
> Certainly this year.
>
>> What are the alternatives to the current approach?  This surely can be
>> improved, but there need to be concrete ideas first.
>
> What I would like to see is targets for "build" and "install" that just
> ignore the .*_done files, don't create any of them either, and do the
> install straight to /usr/pkg, not touching anything in $PACKAGES nor
> /var/db/pkg/*. Maybe with prominent warning, and/or only available if
> PKG_DEVELOPER=yes.

But then you break the checksums recorded in pkgdb, which will prevent
you from cleanly uninstalling the package for example.  You'd need a
way to regenerate those at the very least so that you are not left
with a broken database.  And I'm sure I'm missing other details that
would need handling...

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv