Re: fixing bugs in packages

> make clean deletes everything.....
Yes.

> You clearly aren't trying to fix broken code, just broken pkgsrc builds.
No. For the most recent example, look at http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4065.
The patch was produced in exactly the way I described.

> In any case, generating a patch isn't that easy, you need a copy of the
> original file - which only exists inside the tar file
I usually do make extract (or make patch), then save the original file
before I edit it.
Then, I edit, turn my edit into a patch, put it in $LOCALPATCHES and
make clean; make patch (to see if it applied correctly) and make build/install.

You are right in that a "rebuild" target would probably ease the development
in that you could shorten the cycle to make deinstall; make rebuild;
make install.