Re: pkg_install in base system again

Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:

>> >If we have to explicitely skip outdated and buggy
>> >pkg_* tools in base, what is the reason to have it in base then?
>>
>> How about shipping the pkg_* tools as a separate NetBSD install set, to be
>> installed in /usr/pkg/sbin IFF that doesn't exist, yet?
>>
>> You'd get install_* tools, either in usable, or at least upgradeable form.
>
> I think this would be great!

This shouldn't be a "set," since that starts monthly mtree checks trigger
warning.
It should be just what we call "bootstrap [binary] kit". Then it will
bring pkg_install as an installed package upon installation, which is what we
want.
(Since bootstrap kit can be cross-built, one can hook it to those scripts
that regularly build NetBSD for all platforms.)

--
HE CE3OH...