Re: packaging javascript?

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:10:02AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I don't think tahoe's setup.py deals with this yet.  But I don't think
>> it belongs in htdocs - I'm not talking about using this on
>> www.netbsd.org, but having it in pkgsrc so that someone running tahoe
>> can depend on this to get the bits present in /usr/pkg/share someplace,
>> rather than having to do it by hand, or have tahoe download the bits at
>> build time, or put the bits in tahoe VC system.
>
> So are you looking for a standard place to install JavaScript
> libraries for pkgsrc, like ${PREFIX}/lib is for C libraries?

Yes, and more specifically words of wisdom from people have have been
living with hand-installing these libraries.

It seems obvious that it should go in ${PREFIX}/share/javascript or
something like that.  These are 'libraries' in some sense, but not in
the unix sense.  So I would like a sanity check on that.

The bigger issue is that there don't seem to be norms for this in the
javascript community - they seem to expect people to do things by hand.