Re: packaging javascript?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Greg Troxel <> wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <> writes:
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:10:02AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>> I don't think tahoe's deals with this yet.  But I don't think
>>> it belongs in htdocs - I'm not talking about using this on
>>>, but having it in pkgsrc so that someone running tahoe
>>> can depend on this to get the bits present in /usr/pkg/share someplace,
>>> rather than having to do it by hand, or have tahoe download the bits at
>>> build time, or put the bits in tahoe VC system.
>> So are you looking for a standard place to install JavaScript
>> libraries for pkgsrc, like ${PREFIX}/lib is for C libraries?
> Yes, and more specifically words of wisdom from people have have been
> living with hand-installing these libraries.
> It seems obvious that it should go in ${PREFIX}/share/javascript or
> something like that.  These are 'libraries' in some sense, but not in
> the unix sense.  So I would like a sanity check on that.
> The bigger issue is that there don't seem to be norms for this in the
> javascript community - they seem to expect people to do things by hand.

My observation is that each web app using one of the common javascript
frameworks will tend to bundle it with its code.  They often include a
slightly modified version or develop to a specific version with little
interest in keeping up-to-date with jquery plugin development.

If tahoe is depending on a user to install his own version of
js-framework-foo, it will still need to dictate where in the docroot
(htdocs) these files must live so it can include them from the html