Re: "doc" option

On 11/26/10 6:07 PM, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
   Hello!

Unless anyone objects in a week, I'll start adding "doc" option to packages
I'm interested to be stripped of installed documentation. First positions
in the queue are occupied by modular X.org packages. I'm not going to change
current state, default will be to install documentation.

What's the reason for this? Adding this as an option will only make packages a nightmare to maintain. And this option will make binary packages obscure because one won't be able to tell whether the binary package includes documentation or not.

I understand the willingness to have this for some packages (where the documentation is either huge or license-incompatible with the code), but in these cases the documentation should be a separate package and not an option. Making this a general option is potentially harmful for our users and for the maintainers.