Re: handling moved configuration files

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:32:34AM -0500, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> Does pkgsrc have a general policy for handling multiple concurrently-
> support major versions of packages?
>
> Seems to me that when version X+1 of package bar/foo comes out, that we
> should create bar/fooX (if we need to maintain support for the old one)
> and let bar/foo be the new one.  I, too, think it makes sense that if you
> want the latest and greatest foo, you should be able to just install
> bar/foo and have it.  If someone knows he needs an outdated version, then
> the responsibility for tracking the version numbers should fall on him.

This discussion is deviating from the moved/renamed config files topic.

Also, the idea behind introducing mail/dovecot2 here was exactly to ensure
admin interaction for the Dovecot 1.2->2.0 update (by having to install a
new package rather than just upgrading) so that the moved config file would
not be unnoticed.

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F