Re: proposed patches for bmake (Interix and Haiku)

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:13:31PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:39:50 +0900, David Holland
> <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> >>Honestly, I don't know for what it is used...
> >>Is there any lack of ar.h platform supported by pkgsrc?
> >
> >There's a historical misfeature in make to let it inspect the
> >timestamps of the contents of ar files in order (I guess) to
> >selectively replace members.
> >
> >My recommendation would be to disable the feature when ar.h is missing
> >and see if anything breaks; I'll be surprised if anything much does.
>
> It seems that bmake only support BSD style long filename, not for GNU style,
> So maybe something already happened on Linux if something using the feature.
>
> Now, I can build bmake on Haiku with the approach suggested by Joerg.
> I'll send patches to sjg@.

I still have some #ifdef SVR4ARCHIVES in arch.c on OpenBSD, which more or
less should correspond to GNU long filenames. I've clenaed up the code
somewhat, but I'm very certain I did not write it. So at some point, bmake
had support for those, and also for BSD style filenames.

That said, it's a feature that is only there to satisfy POSIX. I don't think
I've ever met an actual Makefile that uses it...