Re: gettext 0.16 vs 0.14.6

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:20:33AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I read the NEWS for gettext 0.17, and it didn't say anything about
>> printf argument reordering.
>
> It has been an issue for any gettext after 0.14, I think.

OK

>> Is that something specified in POSIX, or a
>> Linuxism, or something else?  I can see it being useful for
>> printing internationalized dates.
>
> XSI, as said already.

Yes, I saw apb's comment and read the spec.

>> 0.16 is definitely not bleeding edge:

I had wondered myself, and thought it would be useful to share the
dates.

> I never said it would be. I can just update it, the problem is that it
> doesn't help the NetBSD release at all. The number of packages that

true, but it lets pkgsrc programs that need the newer version get it.
netbsd base should be updated too, but I think that's separable.

> really want the newer features has been very limited, so I didn't saw a
> strong reason to touch this.

I had to build gettext by hand to get gutenprint to build from cvs.  So
from my viewpoint we have crossed the line of "nothing really needs
newer than 0.14".  So if you were to update pkgsrc, I'd appreciate it.