Re: gettext 0.16 vs 0.14.6

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:24:03PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> We have 0.14.6 in pkgsrc, but gutenprint requires 0.16.  Can anyone shed
>> light on if we are behind, if 0.16 is bleeding edge, and if there are
>> reasons not to update?
>
> Ignoring pkgsrc for a moment -- what do you want to do for NetBSD base?
> Also keep in mind that the support for printf argument reordering is
> missing in base and therefore creates a lot of issues.

I read the NEWS for gettext 0.17, and it didn't say anything about
printf argument reordering.  Is that something specified in POSIX, or a
Linuxism, or something else?  I can see it being useful for
printing internationalized dates.

0.16 is definitely not bleeding edge:

  ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gettext/

0.14.4 (netbsd-4, current)      2005-04
0.14.6 (pkgsrc)                 2006-06
0.16.1                          2006-11 (0.16 was buggy)
0.17                            2007-11

0.17 is GPL3.

So for NetBSD base, I would say that updating to 0.16.1 seems in order,
but that's perhaps more work than pkgsrc, and also doesn't address NetBSD
4, 3, etc.

In pkgsrc I don't see any reason not to go to 0.17.  It seems from NEWS
that there are new features that other programs are probably using.

The pkgsrc gettext packges don't have a Makefile.common that defines the
version, and I'm not sure why.  You are maintainer - do you want to
update, or is there some reason not to.