Re: so_rerror

On 06/11/2018 00:31, Christos Zoulas wrote:
I agree as I wrote above, the issue is to do it in a non-intrusive way or
make sure that nothing breaks...

I'm not sure how much more non intrusive it can be - everything I've done is standards compliant, documented by POSIX and implemented previously in at least one other OS.

bind even had code for the error path (although it made the wrong choice).
Many other applications such as nsd and unbound also have prior existing code for it but thankfully made the right choice about what to do.

And we discover more and more things
breaking.

As it stands, the *only* application that's been reported broken since 8.0 without any existing error path for it which I'm aware of is syslogd because logging the error as you pointed out only makes the problem worse. We've now fixed that, and you've said you're happy with it.

So, I'll ask. What are these more and more things that are breaking ? Bbecause they are not reported in gnats, irc or to an email list to which I belong.

Roy