Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

On 2015-05-29 08:18, Matt Thomas wrote:

On May 28, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

On 2015-05-28 21:19, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
Paul_Koning%Dell.com@localhost writes:

And DECnet nodes exist around the Internet; the “Hobbyist DECnet”
group (“hecnet”) is the main focus of that activity as far as I know.

...and while I'm sure Johnny Billquist can supply more details, and
correct me if I'm wrong, DECnet on NetBSD seems to me to be an active
component of the hecnet environment.

Nope. NetBSD do not run DECnet. I run a bridge program, which I initially developed on NetBSD, but it runs on pretty much anything.

Your’s don’t. :)

If it doesn't, then I should fix it. Currently I'm just running it under Linux and OSX, and I know others who have run it on Windows and OpenBSD. I haven't tested on NetBSD recently, but if there is some problem it should be really easy to fix. That said, the code is just a plan, ugly hack.

Oh, and DECnet on Linux is not so great either, and I believe it has been dropped from the main tree.
But if anyone wants to try and get NetBSD to talk DECnet, Paul and me can certainly help in many ways.

I have a Phase IV+ (so I didn’t have to much with the physical address) implementation but never got around to writing the apps.  socket interface is identical to DECnet-ULTRIX.  DAP is a beast as is CTERM.  I could run IP protocols over, but then I have IP for that. :)

If you say that you didn't fiddle with physical addresses, then you have been playing Phase V, as Phase IV requires that you manipulate the physical address. And that is also true of IV+.

DAP would be really nice, but it's complex. But I like the capabilities. CTERM on the other hand is on my top-3 list of things I hate (pretty much the norm for all non-VMS people :-) ).

I never committed it because I doubted there was interest.  It’s probably bit rotted but I could resurrect it.

Well, me for one would be interested...

In a world a long time ago I was one of the kernel engineers for DECnet for ULTRIX and OSF/1 (nee Digital UNIX). It was one reason I could stand the netiso code because it was so horrible.

Hey, cool. Then you should know more about this than I do.

	Johnny