Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

Hi,

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:22:35AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> Because of these trends, I've been thinking for a while now that maybe
> it's getting to be time to fork. That would allow having one project
> that intends to stay current, with all the attendant requirements,
> which probably mostly doesn't make sense on vintage hardware; and
> another project that explicitly abandons most or all of that and
> instead concentrates on being the best possible traditional multiuser
> or workstation Unix, which does make sense on vintage hardware that
> was designed for (or could be adapted to) those roles, and which also
> makes sense on newer hardware to the extent it's consistent with the
> traditional role.

I would argue that this has happened already - FreeBSD and NetBSD are
the results...  at least from the outside, this is how it looks like,
with FreeBSD focusing on few platforms but modernizing itself quite
a bit (kernel preempting, zfs, ...) and NetBSD focusing on "it runs
everywhere".

I'm not sure the BSD worlds needs yet another fork.

Now, speaking as application developer: I'd hate to see yet another BSD
fork that I have to test OpenVPN on regularily, to see whether "we" or
"they" broke something and system-specific parts need to be adjusted...
(right now, we build and test on FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, and
various versions of those - sufficiently subtly different that there
has to be system-specific code for ifconfig/route handling...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert%net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de@localhost