Re: IPv6 Stable Private Addresses RFC 7217

On 04/06/2014 13:14, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:06:12AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
On 04/06/2014 10:46, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

>So it's a userland implementation if I understand correctly ?

Yes

>No plans for a kernel-based implementation ?

No. Why would you want it in the kernel?

Because if it's not, if anyone ever tries to do netboot or diskless
operation over IPv6, the host's address may suddenly change once userland
is running?

Surely a diskless host should be able to cope with address changes? I mean, changing address via DHCPv4 is neither new nor rocket science.

This is quite important, because if another host somehow picks the same interface identifier as our host then the host in conflict will increase the dad_counter and generate a different interface identifier. So given this, it's impossible to guarantee a 100% stable address unless you manage every piece of your network which is something the software just doesn't know.

Roy