Re: Temporary IPv6 addresses vs. netgroups

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 12:44:47AM +0100, Darren Reed wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 01:37 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
> > To be even more emphatic about that, one thing that we should be
> > doing is shipping NetBSD (and its packages) to select rational address
> > types by default - by all means allow sysadmins (or users) to alter
> > the defaults, but the defaults should be rational.
> >
> > That means that postfix (and sendmail) and nfs, should all be using
> > stable addresses, whereas firefox, wget (etc) should all be default
> > configured
> > to use temporarary addresses (in each case of course, assuming the
> > appropriate address type is available).
>
> How do you determine a stable address vs temporary?
>
> For example, I use DHCP to assign IP addresses on almost everything
> now, including devices that are NFS/CIFS/SMB clients. The only place
> where I have a static address is a server.

These would be "static" in the sense of "no privacy address auto-generated
and auto-rotated(!) after a certain time by the host itself".

Phrased differently, "temporary" addresses in the sense of this discussion
(and where you want a distinction between a "NFS client" and a "web browser")
arte those generated according to RFC4914 (or 3041):

4941 Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in
     IPv6. T. Narten, R. Draves, S. Krishnan. September 2007. (Format:
     TXT=56699 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC3041) (Status: DRAFT STANDARD)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost