Re: Temporary IPv6 addresses vs. netgroups

    Date:        Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:09:05 +0100
    From:        Gert Doering <gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost>

  | Speaking as a sysadmin, being able to bind an application to a specific
  | local IPv6 address is useful, but most of the time I don't want to bother
  | to look up the specific address, and just bind to a class of address.

To be even more emphatic about that, one thing that we should be
doing is shipping NetBSD (and its packages) to select rational address
types by default - by all means allow sysadmins (or users) to alter
the defaults, but the defaults should be rational.

That means that postfix (and sendmail) and nfs, should all be using
stable addresses, whereas firefox, wget (etc) should all be default configured
to use temporarary addresses (in each case of course, assuming the
appropriate address type is available).

There's no way TNF can ship systems with specific addresses built into
them, nor can it know specific interface names, or anything else.

But it can have an application say "stable address if possible please"
or "temporary address if possible please", and once we have a mechanism
(however it ends up looking) to permit that, that's exactly what we should
be doing.

kre