Re: rshd...

On 15/07/2012, at 10:57 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> Possibly with a new category called "insecurity" so people know everything i$
>
> Why does everyone seem to think everything that's not suitable for the
> open Internet is not suitable anywhere?!

Because even when you aren't connected to the internet, you are still connected
to the internet. You know those awful movies where they show people breaking in
to computer systems with graphics of connections bouncing through half a dozen
systems to get to their target? I've seen someone do that in real life, and it
really does work that way, just with fewer CGI pictures of satellites. All you
need to start the ball rolling is a funny cat picture.

The reason most of us don't get owned is because we don't have enough goodies
to make it worth anyone's trouble. I'm pretty sure that's not a good security
model. Just in case anyone's wondering, it's not a good security model because
it assumes we know what other people want, and we only ever know that in
general. Unfortunately, when someone attacks you, it's always a specific
person, rather than the Internet in general that's doing it.

Cheers,
Lloyd