Re: Retiring dhclient

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 03:10:53AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:00:53AM +0800, Ted Lemon wrote:
> > If dhcpcd really is better than dhclient, I could probably hack ini
> > DHCPv6 support pretty easily.
>
> I think it is significantly better than the 3.x code we have in base.
> I don't know what the state of multi-interface support in dhclient4 is
> to know whether it can compare. Support for IPv4 LL is definitely nice
> to have, but a bit smaller.
>
> DHCPv6 support is a sore point in NetBSD for now and fixing that one way
> or the other would be appreciated. Getting the support for the server is
> pretty much a no brainer. For the client, it raises a few questions
> about which data set to pick when both DHCP and DHCPv6 are available for
> an interface and have a non-empty symmetric difference. Another item is
> how to deal with partial support in the presence of multiple interfaces.
> Consider having both IPv4 and IPv6 available via WLAN and only IPv4 via
> Ethernet -- do you still want to enable IPv6 routing?

This is one of those cases where the DHCP client should use a hook to
decide.  You definitely don't want to hard-code the policy.

(I like dhcpcd a lot, really, but sometimes it has hard-coded a policy
where there was already precedent for different people setting different
policies.)

Dave

--
David Young