Re: Retiring dhclient

On Nov 16, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Ted Lemon <mellon%fugue.com@localhost> wrote:
> Whatever.

To expand on this, Robert, my point is that it's all very well and good to be a
cowboy and come up with a solution that works well on the networks that you
think are good networks.  But to come up with a solution that will work on
networks that exist in practice but are not the sorts of networks you think
should exist in practice is harder.   Of course it's always easier to provide a
solution to a restricted problem set.

In practice, multiple interface environments where each network is connected to
a separate administrative domain are common, not uncommon.   If you have an
iPhone, that's a device that is connected in this way.   My Android phone is
currently connected to my hotel network and a Taiwanese 3G provider.   Neither
provider is qualified to advise my device on how it should operate on the
network, so trying to merge configuration information from both services is a
fool's errand.   Indeed, my Android phone routinely fails to connect to my mail
server once per day, even though it has a perfectly valid 3G connection,
because the WiFi connection reverts to the captive portal and stops allowing
transit through it to my mail server.

Now, you can argue that no NetBSD device will ever be connected in this way,
but I will believe you only as long as you promise never to install a cellular
data modem in the USB port of your laptop.