Re: [patch] ixg(4): Intel 82599 10-gigabit ethernet

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 09:01:06AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 06:58:26PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > Here is a NetBSD port of the Intel 82599 10-gigabit ethernet driver from
> > FreeBSD,
> > <ftp://elmendorf.ojctech.com/users/netbsd-08c5a58c/ixgbe.patch>.
> >
> > To try it out, apply the patch and add this line to your kernel
> > configuration:
> >
> > ixg*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # Intel 8259x 10 gigabit
>
> The driver which you just commited has files which are named ixgbe*
> Is there any reason why the driver name couldn't be then ixgbe(4) too?

I believe users expect a correspondence between the device unit names
(ixg0..ixgN) and the manual name.  I know I do.  That is the reason for
the manual name.

I have found that changing FreeBSD filenames/paths too severely creates
a lot of pain down the road, so I did not consider that.

BTW, in FreeBSD, the driver attaches as ix0, but the ix(4) name is taken
in NetBSD by the "Intel EtherExpress/16 Ethernet ISA bus NIC driver," so
I used the next shortest name, ixg(4).

> P.S. Thank you for the NetBSD port of the driver.

Thanks to Coyote Point Systems, Inc., for sponsoring the port!

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24