Re: Google Summer of Code Project: Port OpenAFS Client

Hi,

On Mon Mar 29 2010 at 14:12:33 -0500, Matt Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been working on NetBSD for a while at Iowa State University and we have
> been running Arla whenever we need AFS support on a client machine. Since
> Arla does not yet work with the latest release of NetBSD, we have to use
> either NetBSD 3 or 4, so I can see how porting the OpenAFS client over could
> be immensely useful. Since I have dealt with both of these and their
> interactions so much in the past, I have a lot of interest in seeing this
> actually happen and there is no better way to get something accomplished
> than to do it yourself.
>
> I do have plenty of experience in using both of the systems, but I have
> never actually delved very far into the actual programming aspects of either
> of them so I do not know enough at the moment to be able to decide whether
> using the new LKM interface or PUFFS would be better to implement the port.
> I'm curious as to if anyone knows which would be better or even just the
> benefits of using one over the other.

I would never ever implement a network client in the kernel.  It is
extremely difficult to do in the first place and hard to get right even
in very mature code (cf. our nfs client).

The performance advantage argument for kernel file systems is quite
laughable in 2010.  Anyone who claims otherwise does not know how to
measure performance.

If done as a non-privileged server, your code will have "mostly usable"
value even if it crashes or locks up, say, once a day.  In the kernel
it's not as much so.  One of the most misunderstood aspects of systems
development these days is the unability to realize that code will never be
perfect; how fast you recover from catastrophic failures is what separates
a bad system from a good system (IMHO, of course.  i could rant a lot
more about that one ;).  That's not to say we shouldn't strive to write
code as well as we possibly can, just that we should accept the reality
of our limitations.

> Additionally, I am semi-concerned about the scope of this project possibly
> being too large to accomplish in a single summer (depending on what all is
> involved), so it will definitely need to be broken down into a number of
> different parts in order to decide what can actually be accomplished. I do
> realize, however, that there is a FreeBSD client that might be useful.
>
> Does anyone have any additional thoughts regarding this project beyond what
> is just listed on the GSoC site?

I don't know anything about AFS, but speaking from the experience of
writing several network file system clients, I think the project is
quite doable within the summer (outside of the kernel).  There are a
few steps I'd do it in:

0) do not cache anything before you *measure* the bottlenecks.  there
   are some "obvious" things to do, but do it the easy way first.
   I'd say 99% of file system complexity comes from caching.

0) understand how a file system works.  the key concepts are creating
   nodes in the driver (with lookup/create/mkdir/mknod/symlink) and
   removing that state (partially with inactive and ultimately with
   reclaim).  especially, understand what open/close is and what it
   is *not*.  you may (or may not) find my paper on this helpful:
   http://2008.asiabsdcon.org/papers/P4B-paper.pdf

1) write a standalone program which can read directories and files from
   an AFS server.  this includes things like handshake and authentication,
   which will remain mostly unchanged when you hook up your code with
   the host OS fs hooks.

   if there are existing programs which do this, you might consider
   using those.  however, weigh that against the educational experience.
   you will have to understand the ins and outs of the code extremely
   well for the next step.

2) hook the up the code from the previous step to the lookup/reclaim
   life cycle (all the other ops mentioned in "0" are relevant only
   for r/w file systems).  be warned: apart from caching, this is the
   hardest thing in a file system.  discouragingly, you must do this
   hard part first for anything to work.  the good news is that when
   it's done, you're almost finished

3) implement readdir and read (and open if it's necessary for AFS), mostly
   by using code you wrote in "1".  now you should be able to browse the
   server contents.

4) implement write support in a similar fashion to "1".  if you're feeling
   brave, you can skip the standalone program step and implement it
   directly in the file system driver.  this is feasible especially if
   working with a userspace client.

5) polish, document

6) measure bottlenecks and start working on performance improvements.
   i think this is an optional goal for the summer.

Two things I'd like to ask (still keeping in mind I don't know anything
about AFS):

  * Is there really no FUSE client?  If there is one, what is the
    relevance of this project?
  * can the arla code (which was written against nnpfs) be used?

good luck ;)