Re: getifaddrs(3) returns 2 AF_LINK instances for the same interface

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 01:39:11PM -0500, David Young wrote:
Do you mean, does old getifaddrs(3) do the right thing with the messages
in the new kernel interface?  The messages are the same in form,
but different in number, so I reckon it depends on an application's
expectations more than anything else.

I mean if the answer is "getifaddrs need to change" to accomodate for
the kernel changes, that does change the visible result for older
programs, doesn't it? I don't know how many users (if at all) actually
care about AF_LINK, but it is something to keep in mind for this
discussion.

I would argue that regardless of the outcome of this discussion, getifaddrs(3) needs to report each address once for NetBSD-5.
An analogy would be readdir(3) reporting "." twice.

Thanks

Roy